Saturday, March 3, 2012

running to starbucks

My earlier post about doing without Internet makes it sound as if it's not a big deal. That is true 90% of the time but the other 10% can be crazy-making. One night, both kids had homework that required use of the Internet and both kids had put off their homework until the night before it was due. The library closes at 8 p.m. so we ended up rushing over to Starbucks so they could finish their work. It feels wrong to go into Starbucks to use their wifi without buying something, so I got drinks for the kids. You know what? It is still cheaper to pay for a few lattes than it is to pay for Internet access at home, so--in my serene moments--I'm okay with the money going to Starbucks. Kids who leave their homework to the last minute, though, make me not-so-serene. Dealing with the extreme circumstances of a husband under investigation for something completely shameful can make the ordinary frustrations of procrastinating children difficult to manage gracefully.

No comments: